Island History: A Look at the Stories of the Outer Banks’ Life-Saving Service
2 mins read

Island History: A Look at the Stories of the Outer Banks’ Life-Saving Service

1874 Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station. Photo by Joy Crist.

The Chicamacomico Emergency Medical Service Station (CLSS) celebrates its 150t anniversary this year as one of the seven original lifeboat stations built in North Carolina in 1874.

In connection with Chicamacomico Emergency Medical Service Station and Historic Site in Rodanthe In the coming months, we’ll be sharing stories about the seven Outer Banks life-saving stations dating back to 1874, in anticipation of October’s official celebration of the 150th anniversary of U.S. life-saving stations in the state.

Below is another Lifesaving Station article written by Jen Carlson for CLSS to celebrate #LegacyofLifeSaving.

Above and Beyond – Historic Rescue by Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills Life-Saving Stations

On January 20, 1895, the barge broke from its towline and became stranded about a mile north of the Kill Devil Hills Life-Saving Station, but was discovered by a patrolman from the Kitty Hawk Life-Saving Station coming from the south.

After failing to meet his Station 13 counterpart during a beach patrol, the patrolman continued walking along the beach, realizing that a rescue operation was likely in progress.

Discovering that there were two men on board without supplies, the patrolman entered the water and used a rising pole and rope to establish a connection with the barge before helping the men to shore. He led the men to the closer Kill Devil Hills station, where they met the returning crew who had indeed been responding to a vessel in distress south of the station.

The two sailors remained with the Kill Devil Hills crew for two days, waiting for a tug to transport the barge to Norfolk.

All as part of the daily work at the Chicamacomico Lifeguard Station

Sometimes, all it takes is patience: Just before dawn on December 27, 1895, warden Little Bannister Midgett Jr., who was standing at a lookout, spotted a schooner about 3.5 miles south of the Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station.

A moment later a signal was seen from the schooner indicating that assistance had been requested. Keeper Midgett immediately led his crew into the morning.

Upon arrival at the scene, it turned out that nothing could be done to help because the crew Lou Willis They actually got ashore before the crew of the Chicamacomico arrived, and the ebb tide had left the schooner high and dry. It was necessary to use runners to pull the ship from the shallows. Almost a month later, the captain of the ship again requested assistance, because the runners had already been obtained and he needed help to launch the schooner. He was very grateful for the work the rescuers did to help him to relaunch the ship.